I love a bit of alliteration in a blog post title This dress has been a LOOOOONG time coming. I thought of making this dress almost as soon as I was finished with my first Sonja dress, so that’s…..4 months? (Jeeez…..) I absolutely loved the shape of the dress – the slight halterneck/racer back neckline and poof skirt are gorgeous – and I knew I wanted to add a plain black bodice with a patterned skirt.
This look was kinda big for Dior in their spring/summer 2013 collection. Yeah, I know it’s now autumn so I’m a bit late to the party (…..fashionably late ?) but in my defense I have been planning this dress for a long time! Sally from Charity shop chic was slightly more on the ball than me and made a stunning version you should check out! (back in May – that’s how late I am!).
I really loved this look, but knew I didn’t want the shiny organza over the top and wanted a more wearable length. I also am a total sucker for monochrome so knew I wanted to find a black and white large floral pattern. It took me FOREVER to find the perfect fabric but I finally found it from Fabric Godmother. I used this gorgeous stretch black cotton sateen (So scrummy), and a lovely floral print which they no longer have, also in stretch cotton sateen. It was my first time using stretch cotton, but I really enjoyed it! It gives me a little security that I can eat a bit and it will give a little while still holding me in – very useful!
It took me months to get round to actually making this dress, I think a combination of it being summer and wanting to make a million summery clothes for holiday, then holiday, then house buying put it way down on my priority list. Especially since the wedding I’m planning to wear it to is not till this weekend. Yes you read correctly – this Saturday! Hence the last week and a bit I have been rushing to get this baby finished! Finished by Thursday, that’s not cutting it too fine is it? At least I’m not sewing the hem on the way to the church
The other reason why this has taken a while is that I am such an annoying perfectionist, that even when I have hardly any time CANNOT let anything go! Haha. I wanted this dress to be special so I decided to line it properly. I am so proud of this next photo – check out how pretty the inside is!
I mean seriously, I could almost wear it inside out! Proud as punch, that’s what this face says It’s as perfect as I could make it
Yes it took a while but I’m over the moon with how it looks. I even bound the edges of the bodice in satin bias binding to give it a special touch. You can’t really see in this picture, but I think it makes a difference – makes it look more RTW.
Yet again the pattern was a breeze – it’s not tricky to sew up at all. And remembering my problems last time I decided to sew up the size 6, and remembered to add seam allowances! There’s possibly still a little too much fabric across the back, but I’m trying not to let my perfectionist tendencies get the better of me and I’m going to leave it! Oh and another feature zip, just cos I can’t get enough of them