So, here we go – my first reveal for my new feature, Re-creKate. You may remember that my plan is to find at least one inspiration item each month and attempt to recreate it. A couple of weeks ago I found a picture of this dress in a magazine and instantly wanted to have a go at producing my own version!
I found this dress on the White Pepper website where you can get your own version for £70.
As much as I like the idea of this dress I soon realised that wouldn’t suit me – it’s too baggy around the waist, which for me is not a good look! So I decided to use Mcall’s 6503 as a base to make a form of shirt dress, adding a collar (I can do this now, woop!).
You may remember that the last time I made this dress it was far too big for me, so this time I went down a size and made a straight size 10. It’s still a teeny bit big, but fits pretty well overall
I used a blue polka dot poplin from Croft mill (have you also seen this chiffon? I think I need it in my life, oops!). I’ve never worked with poplin before, but I really enjoyed it! It feels more durable than regular cotton, but is so soft to touch, and lovely to wear next to the skin (I didn’t line it).
This blue is probably the closest to the actual colour of the dress. I made this skirt far shorter than the pattern suggests, but rather than cutting it off I instead sewed a huge hem which I finished with dark blue seam binding (actually the same seam binding I’ve used to finish off a few dresses – I like that it links them together). The large hem means that if I want a more demure look later on I can easily increase the length. I’m pretty pleased with the hemming as you can’t see the stitches at all I’m almost certain my mum will think the skirt is too short (sorry mum), but the original dress was short so I’m just staying true to my inspiration!
I love the dark blue against the pale blue, so I also used similar dark blue bias binding on the armholes
(You’ll have to forgive all the slightly blurry photos, I’m still struggling without being able to use my camera. We now have a computer! But photoshop is not properly installed, yadda yadda yadda. Soon I’ll be back to working order)
I also added a collar to the bodice. Until recently I had not made a collar, but after finally finishing my Archer, I felt confident that I could add one on. I drafted my own collar – a little bigger than the Archer one and sewed it on to the collar stand already in the pattern for the dress, following the instructions for the Archer. Simples! The effect is pretty subtle as the collar isn’t that noticeable, but I like the touch, and I’m secretly pretty proud of how all the dots line up perfectly.
I just know the poplin is going to be super comfy in the sun (if we ever get some for longer than a couple of days), and I can’t wait to wear it on holiday next week!
So the original dress costs £70. This dress cost me £20 for fabric (inc p+p), £1 for a zip, seam binding and bias binding from my stash = a saving of £49, not the biggest saving in history but every little helps, and I think I like mine more